- 1st-2nd: Hermine became a hurricane and struck NW Flordia and it was the first hurricane to hit Florida in 11 years and the National Weather Service confiremed that an EF-0 tornado ripped through the Hamlin area of Winter Garden. Hermine will be moving up the east coast.
- 5th: The east coast only got some rain and wind, but tides were high.
- 8th: Tucson, AZ, received 1.25" of rain on Wed. Typically, the city receives 1.29" for the entire month of August.
- 9th: Record Highs: LaGuardia, NY: 93 (Broke-91-2002); Islip, NY: 90 (Broke-89-1996);
Bridgeport, CT: 89 (Tied-1959).
- 13th: Tropicaol Storm Julia formed over NE Florida, than bringing coastal rain to Georgia and South Carolina. Snow in the Sierra made it look more like winter than the tail end of summer. An EF0 tornado touched down Tuesday afternoon in Brevard County, LA.
- 14th: Washington, D.C. set a record of 95 F. Old record: 94 F set in 1915 and tied in 1980 and 1981.
- 16th: TS Karl formed over the eastern Atl. 11th named storm of the Atlantic Hurricane Season. No immediate threat to land. TS Julia weakened back to a TD - the longest-lived Atlantic named storm to not exceed 35 kts.